Shelby Thoms of Simcoe Contemporary Dancers.
Join the SCD Community
Simcoe Contemporary Dancers (“SCD”) is Barrie’s only not-for-profit professional contemporary dance company. We showcase contemporary dance, create awareness, build educational opportunities, and reach out to the public to share our love of the art form. We are very active within the community, offering full-length productions, community performances, outreach events, workshops, and classes, as well as volunteer and co-op opportunities. Our target audiences vary based on program area but include:
- Teens and Adults interested in expressing themselves through the movement
- Families with children of almost all ages who enjoy community performances
- Emerging and established artists across diverse disciplines
- Adults who are interested in investing their free time in dance
- Professional performers wishing to express themselves in a new way
As an organization, we serve scores of Simcoe County residents annually through our wide breadth of programming, opportunities, and events.
To maintain our current level of activity and continue to expand our reach within Simcoe County and beyond, we actively apply for arts funding opportunities, offer paid performances, classes, and workshops, and create commissioned works.
As a not-for-profit, we also rely on donations, partnerships, and sponsorships. Please consider supporting SCD all year long by following our Donation button below!
Funders & Sponsors
Our volunteers come from all walks of life, all age groups, and all levels of experience. We have teenagers, retired people, and everyone in between. Best of all, no experience is required to volunteer – just plenty of enthusiasm!
What would make you a great candidate?
- You demonstrate a passion for Simcoe Contemporary Dancer’s programming and artistic vision;
- You possess exceptional communications abilities and basic computer skills;
- You are a thoughtful decision-maker and a collaborative team member;
- You are organized and have strong attention to detail;
- You have a good sense of humor and strong work ethic;
- You can work in a fast-paced environment and are calm under pressure.
- Volunteer for an SCD annual event like Celebration of Dance or Dusk Dances Barrie
- Inquire about Co-Op Student Opportunities
- Audition for an Apprentice Position
For more information on volunteering for SCD please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
SCD hosts annual auditions for company members and apprentices (14+) in the summer. Details will be released at least one month prior to the auditions.
Please arrive 15 minutes ahead of audition start time to complete applicable paperwork and waivers.